Resources for Teachers and Students
Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. To remove erroneous, vulgar, obscene, or otherwise objectionable material from (a book, for example) before publication.
2. Either of two points on the celestial sphere at which the ecliptic intersects the celestial equator.
3. A place or situation regarded as drawing into its center all that surrounds it.
4. Feeling or showing haughty disdain.
5. A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or foreign peoples.
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level
Online Reference Guides