Resources for Teachers and Students
Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. Having unlimited or universal power, authority, or force; all-powerful.
2. An extremely distant, and thus old, celestial object whose power output is several thousand times that of our entire galaxy.
3. A plane curve formed by the intersection of a right circular cone and a plane parallel to an element of the cone.
4. An advocate of the extension of political voting rights, especially to women.
5. Overbearing pride or presumption; arrogance.
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level
Online Reference Guides