Resources for Teachers and Students
Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. Characterized by affected, exaggerated, or insincere earnestness.
2. A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or foreign peoples.
3. A plane curve formed by the intersection of a right circular cone and a plane parallel to an element of the cone.
4. Lacking serious purpose or occupation; idle.
5. The process in cell division by which the nucleus divides.
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level
Online Reference Guides