Resources for Teachers and Students
Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. To abolish, do away with, or annul, especially by authority.
2. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
3. The iron-containing respiratory pigment in red blood cells of vertebrates.
4. To bring under control; conquer.
5. Extremely rapid, hasty, or abrupt; precipitate.
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level
Online Reference Guides