Resources for Teachers and Students
Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. Overbearing pride or presumption; arrogance.
2. Characterized by affected, exaggerated, or insincere earnestness.
3. Lacking or marked by a lack of self-confidence; shy and timid.
4. Playfully jocular; humorous
5. To abolish, do away with, or annul, especially by authority.
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level
Online Reference Guides