Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. To gain, usually by one's own exertions; to get as one's own.
2. A great amount or number, often of people.
3. To notice or view, especially carefully or with attention to detail.
4. Speech or language that is incomprehensible or unintelligible; gibberish.
5. Salty or slightly salty, as a mixture of fresh and sea water, such as that found in estuaries
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level