Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. To divide (a geographic area) into voting districts so as to give unfair advantage to one party in elections.
2. The use of obstructionist tactics, especially prolonged speechmaking, for the purpose of delaying legislative action.
3. The side of a right triangle opposite the right angle.
4. Mournful, dismal, or gloomy, especially to an exaggerated or ludicrous degree.
5. To endow with the rights of citizenship, especially the right to vote.
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level