Resources for Teachers and Students
Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. One of the simplest or essential parts or principles of which anything consists, or upon which the constitution or fundamental powers of anything are based.
2. Strange or mysterious, esp. in an unsettling way
3. To run away with quick light steps, to scamper.
4. To hear a conversation one is not intended to hear; to listen in.
5. Doubt, apprehension, a feeling of dread
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level
Online Reference Guides