Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. Cheerfully confident; optimistic.
2. A reproductive cell having the haploid number of chromosomes, especially a mature sperm or egg capable of fusing with a gamete of the opposite sex to produce the fertilized egg.
3. Belonging to the period before a war, especially the American Civil War.
4. An underlying base or foundation especially for an organization or system.
5. A part, portion, or share.