Resources for Teachers and Students
Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. A gift or payment to a common fund or collection.
2. Dark or dreary in character; joyless, and grim.
3. A particular geographic region.
4. To hear a conversation one is not intended to hear; to listen in.
5. Specifically, giving indication of a coming ill; being an evil omen
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level