Resources for Teachers and Students
Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. Mournful, dismal, or gloomy, especially to an exaggerated or ludicrous degree.
2. To renounce under oath; forswear.
3. The iron-containing respiratory pigment in red blood cells of vertebrates.
4. Lacking or marked by a lack of self-confidence; shy and timid.
5. Of, relating to, or produced by motion.
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level
Online Reference Guides