Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. One of the simplest or essential parts or principles of which anything consists, or upon which the constitution or fundamental powers of anything are based.
2. To bring down the size, quantity, value or intensity of something; to diminish, to lower, to impair.
3. Scattered fragments, typically of something wrecked or destroyed
4. The throwing back by a body or surface of light, heat, or sound without absorbing it
5. The quantity of motion of a moving body; the impetus gained by a moving object
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level