Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. The smaller number or part, esp. a number that is less than half the whole number
2. To hear a conversation one is not intended to hear; to listen in.
3. To overpower; to subdue; to put down.
4. One of the simplest or essential parts or principles of which anything consists, or upon which the constitution or fundamental powers of anything are based.
5. To talk rapidly, indistinctly, or unintelligibly; to utter gibberish or nonsense.
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level