Resources for Teachers and Students
Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. To make stable or firm; to confirm.
2. Strange or mysterious, esp. in an unsettling way
3. To move or swing a weapon back and forth, particularly if demonstrating skill.
4. The throwing back by a body or surface of light, heat, or sound without absorbing it
5. Deduce or conclude (information) from evidence and reasoning rather than from explicit statements
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level