Resources for Teachers and Students
Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. Deception by trickery or sophistry.
2. A reproductive cell having the haploid number of chromosomes, especially a mature sperm or egg capable of fusing with a gamete of the opposite sex to produce the fertilized egg.
3. To endow with the rights of citizenship, especially the right to vote.
4. To certify or attest to (the validity of a signature on a document, for example) as a notary public.
5. Something done or paid to compensate or make amends.
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level