The Mini Page is a syndicated, four-page tabloid written for young children found each Wednesday in The Denver Post. This issue of The Mini Page is available through the eEdition Archive to registered eEdition subscribers
1. Find a newspaper story about someone who shows they care about a situation or people in your community. Design an award certificate for that person. Be sure to include information about what the person did.
2. Select three of the areas for caring that are shown in The Mini Page. Draw three circles on a piece of paper and label each circle with the area of caring. Paste newspaper words and pictures that show items you could use to take care of each area in the correct circle.
3. With a friend, go through the newspaper. Circle stories about situations where you could help by donating your time in red. Circle situations where you could help by donating items like clothing or equipment in blue. Circle situations where you could respect your country in green.
4. Which ways of caring are about (a) people, ( b) animals, (c) the environment and (d) community?
5. Look at the various ways you can show you are thankful and how you can care in The Mini Page. Select three of the examples. For each one, write sever al sentences telling what you do now to show you care. Then write several sentences about how you could improve your behavior – what more could you do to show you care?
Mini Page activities meet many state and national educational standards. Each week we identify standards that relate to The Mini Page content and offer activities that will help your students reach them.
This week's standard:
Students demonstrate respectful and caring relationships in the family, workplace and community. (Family and Consumer Science: Interpersonal Relationships)
(standards by Dr. Sherrye D. Garrett, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi)
The last 5 lessons:
Select a lesson from 2017:
View an entire year's lesson archive