The Mini Page is a syndicated, four-page tabloid written for young children found each Wednesday in The Denver Post. This issue of The Mini Page is available through the eEdition Archive to registered eEdition subscribers
1. Make a shopping list for a pet cat. Look for pictures in newspaper ads and comic strips for items you would use with your cat. Paste the pictures on your shopping list.
2. Do a “cat search” in the newspaper. Circle any words or pictures that could be related to cats in one issue of the newspaper. Include news stories, comic strips and sports. How many “cat” item s did you find?
3. Get together with several friends and discuss your pets. Talk about who in your family takes care of your pet. Discuss what you do with your pet. Share funny stories a bout your pet. If a friend does not have a pet now, have him/her talk about what he/she would like to have.
4. How are these related to cats: (a) pupils of their eyes, (b) rats and mice, (c) chuffle and (d) whiskers?
5. Learn more about cats on the internet. Use information from the website in today’s Mini P age to make a trifold pamphlet about cats.
Mini Page activities meet many state and national educational standards. Each week we identify standards that relate to The Mini Page content and offer activities that will help your students reach them.
This week's standard:
Students understand the interactions of animals and their environments. (Science: Life Science)
(standards by Dr. Sherrye D. Garrett, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi)