The Mini Page is a syndicated, four-page tabloid written for young children found each Wednesday in The Denver Post. This issue of The Mini Page is available through the eEdition Archive to registered eEdition subscribers
1. Create a “Veterans Are Heroes” poster. Paste newspaper words that describe veterans on your poster.
2. In the newspaper, circle any words a bout the military or veterans. What kind of stories did you find? What did you learn about veterans from the stories?
3. Collect newspaper stories about individuals or organizations that help veterans who have been injured in the li ne of duty. Why types of services do they provide?
4. How are these related to veterans who need support: (a) wheelchairs, (b) prosthetic legs, (c) family and (d) surgery?
5. Design three greeting cards that thank veterans for their service. If you know a veteran, share a card with him or her.
Mini Page activities meet many state and national educational standards. Each week we identify standards that relate to The Mini Page content and offer activities that will help your students reach them.
This week's standard:
Students understand people and events honored in commemorative holidays. (History)
(standards by Dr. Sherrye D. Garrett, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi)