The Mini Page is a syndicated, four-page tabloid written for young children found each Wednesday in The Denver Post. This issue of The Mini Page is available through the eEdition Archive to registered eEdition subscribers
1. Paste newspaper pictures of three careers you might consider on a piece of paper. Paste newspaper words that describe the careers under each career.
2. In the newspaper, circle pictures or words of three personal goals you would like to achieve in the next year.
3. Read newspaper stories where people are interviewed about their jobs or careers. Collect statements they make about why they like or chose that career/job. Share the quotes with friends.
4. How are these related to dreams and goals: (a) thinking about books you’ve liked to read, (b) making a past achievements list, (c) discussing your goals with a family member or friend, and (d) making a list of steps to achieve a specific goal?
5. Make a timeline of steps you could take in a year to achieve one or two personal/career goals. List skills you have now and skills you need to acquire. List steps in developing or acquiring skills. List places you can research to find information about your goal and what you might have to do to achieve the goal. Ask friends and family members for advice.Put your timeline on a one-year calendar.
Mini Page activities meet many state and national educational standards. Each week we identify standards that relate to The Mini Page content and offer activities that will help your students reach them.
This week's standard:
Students identify the importance of developing a plan for the future. (Career Education and Work)
(standards by Dr. Sherrye D. Garrett, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi)
Select a Mini Page from 2020:
View an entire year's Mini Page archive