e-Edition Subscribers Sign in Here:
Mission Statement for Michigan K.I.D.S., Inc., the Detroit Newspapers in Education (DNIE) nonprofit for The Detroit News and Detroit Free Press
Michigan K.I.D.S., Inc. - the 501 (c) (3) DNIE nonprofit for The Detroit News and Detroit Free Press - is dedicated to strengthening civic and informational literacy and educational excellence by providing Michigan educators and students with:
- e-Editions of the Detroit Free Press and The Detroit News – free username and password classroom access
- Quality supplemental publications on a variety of topics
- Engaging web-based materials to enrich curriculum and assist in teaching reading, writing and thinking skills
- Programs to connect readers and businesses with opportunities to provide support
We are committed to providing Michigan students with opportunities to become informed and involved lifelong readers, consumers and citizens.
The Michigan K.I.D.S. DNIE nonprofit is committed to encouraging the daily practice of online reading, research and learning. Every day, the Detroit Free Press and freep.com and The Detroit News and detroitnews.com bring readers a wealth of information and real-life stories that offer lessons on many levels - all in a format that enhances learning for readers of all ages.
freep.com, detroitnews.com and the Detroit Free Press and The Detroit News print and electronic editions:
- Promote student civic and informational literacy
- Serve as living textbooks that integrate the latest world and local news, politics and technology into the classroom, making important text to real-life connections
- Cultivate student interest in current events and diverse viewpoints, broadening the ability to learn
- Spark enthusiasm for meaningful classroom interaction
- Create lifelong learners, more informed consumers and involved citizens
Online resources for teachers, students and families
Visit dnie.com to access a variety of resources for teachers, students and parents - many of which are interactive features that are updated every Monday! The site includes content for younger readers, and ready-to-use lessons and activities for classroom use with the Detroit Free Press and freep.com and The Detroit News and detroitnews.com
Resources updated on Mondays include:
- Cartoons for the Classroom is a joint effort between the Association of American Editorial Cartoonists and NIEonline to provide lesson plans based on political cartoons. Every other week a new set of pdf files is posted for teachers to download and print out for their classes. One page is a lesson on a specific topic; the other is a blank cartoon on that topic that students can use to test out their own captions before reading the lesson and answering the questions.
- Daily Science Webcasts - Each weekday, Pulse of the Planet provides a two-minute sound portrait of Planet Earth, tracking the rhythms of nature, culture and science worldwide and blending interviews and extraordinary natural sound
- Front Page Talking Points, with a related Video Report, explores the hottest news topic of the week and provides a series of three "Get out Your Newspaper" Action Points.
- Geography in the News is a weekly interactive exploration of a region in the world that is currently in the news. Each lesson starts with a map for students to find the region being discussed. Five questions are presented in an interactive format to test student's knowledge of world geography, with instant scoring as submitted answers are judged and correct answers provided. A printer friendly version of each week's quiz is also provided for use in the classroom without the need to be online. An archive of lessons is also made available, providing dozens of past lessons.
- The Green Room: Conservation for the Classroom offers lessons from the National Wildlife Federation (NWF) to educate and inspire people to protect wildlife and wildlife habitat.
- Interactive News Quiz of five questions based on stories in last week's Detroit News
- My Vocabulary.com enhances vocabulary and written/verbal skills with over 2,500 pages of puzzles, themed features, word lists, SAT, ACT test prep and word games.
- NASA's Space Place is a monthly column on the latest space discoveries and technologies for elementary students
- News Video with weekly topics for discussion
- NIE Special Reports: Science Behind the News video series are produced by NBC Learn in collaboration with the National Science Foundation
- This Week in History is a weekly calendar of historical events around the world.
- Use the News lessons are three sets of lesson plans targeted for specific grade levels: K-4, 5-8 and 9-12. Each set consists of five activities for using the newspaper in the classroom. Each question or activity includes references to the appropriate learning standard being addressed. An archive of lessons going back a full year is also made available. News Bytes for e-Editions is a graphically rich version of Use the News.
- Words in the News is an interactive online VOCABULARY builder with automatic scoring and correction. Teachers or students can generate quizzes - by words or definitions - based on word lists appropriate for elementary school, middle school or high school students or direct the students to the website. A printer-friendly version is also. In addition, each week a new word is defined and placed in context using a snippet from a news story.
Additional online resources for teachers and students updated periodically include:
The dnie.com homepage will also feature announcements about new educational programs and contests available to Michigan teachers and students through the Michigan K.I.D.S., Inc. DNIE nonprofit
Print resources for teachers and students
DNIE offers sponsored print student supplements on a variety of topics along with daily access to e-Editions of the Detroit Free Press or The Detroit News. All of our print products are sponsored and delivered free of charge to schools in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties. All such programs are also available digitally on our website for schools outside our delivery area. Watch this site for currently available student supplements.
DNIE News e-Newsletter
Sign up our e-Newsletter sent throughout the school year from Detroit NIE. The newsletter has all the latest offerings from DNIE and links to weekly lessons and activ
► Click here to register if you aren't already getting the newsletter, or call 1-800-678-0789. To ensure delivery, please add email@example.com to your email address book or safe senders list.
freep.com and detroitnews.com
True living textbooks for Michigan's education community, freep.com and detroitnews.com feature news and information that is updated throughout the day, making the newspaper websites up-to-date companions to print and e-Editions of the two newspapers.
Both sites also feature extensive sports coverage, multimedia, newsletters, community news and information.