Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. Characterized by forcefulness of expression or intensity of emotion or conviction; fervid.
2. To modify, as by shortening or simplifying or by skewing the content in a certain manner.
3. Not limited to or associated with a particular religious denomination.
4. The process in green plants and certain other organisms by which carbohydrates are synthesized from carbon dioxide and water using light as an energy source.
5. The use of unnecessarily wordy and indirect language.
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level