Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. A gift or payment to a common fund or collection.
2. To cause to take physical form, or to cause an object to appear.
3. To overpower; to subdue; to put down.
4. Dark or dreary in character; joyless, and grim.
5. A barrier constructed across a road, especially as a military defense.