Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. One of the simplest or essential parts or principles of which anything consists, or upon which the constitution or fundamental powers of anything are based.
2. To overpower; to subdue; to put down.
3. The result or outcome of a cause.
4. Capable of doing many things competently
5. Something that impedes, stands in the way of, or holds up progress
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level