Resources for Teachers and Students
Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. Characterized by affected, exaggerated, or insincere earnestness.
2. To remove erroneous, vulgar, obscene, or otherwise objectionable material from (a book, for example) before publication.
3. An underlying base or foundation especially for an organization or system.
4. Having a bad disposition; surly.
5. Mournful, dismal, or gloomy, especially to an exaggerated or ludicrous degree.
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level