Resources for Teachers and Students
Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. To remove erroneous, vulgar, obscene, or otherwise objectionable material from (a book, for example) before publication.
2. A dramatic or literary form of discourse in which a character talks to himself or herself or reveals his or her thoughts without addressing a listener.
3. Of the same or similar nature or kind
4. To make an accusation against.
5. A reproductive cell having the haploid number of chromosomes, especially a mature sperm or egg capable of fusing with a gamete of the opposite sex to produce the fertilized egg.
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level