The Mini Page is a syndicated, four-page tabloid written for young children found each Wednesday in The Denver Post. This issue of The Mini Page is available through the eEdition Archive to registered eEdition subscribers
1. Think of a way you would like to give back by helping others. Paste newspaper words and pictures that describe that activity on a piece of paper – but don’t identify what you want to do. Have friends look at your words and pictures to see if they can guess your activity.
2. Look in the comic strips for examples of characters helping other characters. Then look for news stories about volunteers. How many different ways did you see people helping others?
3. Look in the newspaper f or opportunities to volunteer. How many did you find? What different kinds of help do people need? Which would you like to do? Why?
4. How could you help (a) senior citizens, ( b) animals, (c) the environment and (d) readers?
5. Pick one of the volunteer ideas in today’s Mini Page. List the skills and abilities you would need to be a volunteer. Find items in the newspaper that would help you in your volunteering.
Mini Page activities meet many state and national educational standards. Each week we identify standards that relate to The Mini Page content and offer activities that will help your students reach them.
This week's standard:
Students demonstrate respectful and caring relationships in the family, workplace and community. (Family and Consumer Science: Interpersonal Relationships )
(standards by Dr. Sherrye D. Garrett, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi)
The last 5 lessons:
Select a lesson from 2018:
View an entire year's lesson archive