The Mini Page is a syndicated, four-page tabloid written for young children found each Wednesday in The Denver Post. This issue of The Mini Page is available through the eEdition Archive to registered eEdition subscribers
1. Make a deck of Illinois trading cards using 3 - by - 5 cards. Write a question about the state on one side of each card. On the other side, write the answer. Share the cards with friends.
2. In the newspaper, circle stories about cities in Illinois. Don’t forget sports teams. What did you learn about the state?
3. Use the internet to identify at least five famous people from Illinois who were not mentioned in The Mini Page. Write a sentence about each one.
4. How are these important to Illinois: (a) Frank Lloyd W right, (b) Illini, (c) farmland and (d) Abraham Lincoln?
5. Design an Illinois travel brochure. Fold a piece of paper into thirds. Draw a picture relating to Illinois on the outside cover. On the inside three sections, write about or draw pictures that show the following about Illinois: history, places to visit and famous people.
Mini Page activities meet many state and national educational standards. Each week we identify standards that relate to The Mini Page content and offer activities that will help your students reach them.
This week's standard:
Students understand the human and physical characteristics of places. (Geography: Places and Regions)
(standards by Dr. Sherrye D. Garrett, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi)