The Mini Page is a syndicated, four-page tabloid written for young children found each Wednesday in The Denver Post. This issue of The Mini Page is available through the eEdition Archive to registered eEdition subscribers
1. On a large piece of paper, paste newspaper words and pictures of items named in the poem “A Visit From St. Nicholas.” Show the words and pictures to friends and see if they can name the Christmas book or story the words describe.
2. With a friend, look through the newspaper and circle toys that St. Nicholas might have had in his sack when the poem was written in 1822. No modern toys allowed! How many toys did you find?
3. Find the words and phrases in the poems that show that St. Nicholas (a) was not skinny, (b) had pink cheeks, (c) moved fast and (d) was small.
4. These are some unusual words in the poem. Look up definitions for the words that you don’t know on this list: sugarplums, clatter, luster, coursers, dimples, peddler and thistle .
5. Alone, or with friends, rewrite the poem that puts St. Nicholas in a different location, like at a beach or on a ranch.
Mini Page activities meet many state and national educational standards. Each week we identify standards that relate to The Mini Page content and offer activities that will help your students reach them.
This week's standard:
Students understand customs and traditions of their own culture. (Social Studies: Culture)
(standards by Dr. Sherrye D. Garrett, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi)