The Mini Page is a syndicated, four-page tabloid written for young children found each Wednesday in The Denver Post. This issue of The Mini Page is available through the eEdition Archive to registered eEdition subscribers
1. Draw three large circles on a piece of paper. Pick three of the special holidays shown in today’s Mini Page. Design a symbol to represent each of the days. Draw a symbol in each of the circles.
2. Pick three characters from the comic strips. Now choose a special day on the calendar t hat each character would like. Explain why.
3. Find three people or events in today’s newspaper that deserve their own special day on the calendar. Give a name to each of the special days.
4. Which days recognize (a) people, (b) religious celebrations, (c) history and (d) a 50th anniversary?
5. Select one of the special days featured in today’s Mini Page. Now plan a party to celebrate that day: (1 ) design an invita tion to your party, (2) select five people from the new spaper to invite to the party and explain why, (3) find food and drink in the newspaper for your refreshments, and (4) find someone or something to have for entertainment at your party .
Mini Page activities meet many state and national educational standards. Each week we identify standards that relate to The Mini Page content and offer activities that will help your students reach them.
This week's standard:
It’s that time of year again! The Mini Page presents its handy calendar for the new year.
(standards by Dr. Sherrye D. Garrett, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi)