Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. Shaking and vibration at the surface of the earth resulting from underground movement along a fault plane.
2. A form of government in which the political authority exercises absolute and centralized control over all aspects of life,
3. Clear to the understanding.
4. To modify, as by shortening or simplifying or by skewing the content in a certain manner.
5. A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or foreign peoples.
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level