Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. Belonging to the period before a war, especially the American Civil War.
2. To impress (something) upon the mind of another by frequent instruction or repetition; instill.
3. To modify, as by shortening or simplifying or by skewing the content in a certain manner.
4. An advocate of the extension of political voting rights, especially to women.
5. Having unlimited or universal power, authority, or force; all-powerful.
Colorado NIE Weekly lessons
Colorado NIE Youth Content
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level