Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. To certify or attest to (the validity of a signature on a document, for example) as a notary public.
2. Warlike in manner or temperament; pugnacious.
3. To modify, as by shortening or simplifying or by skewing the content in a certain manner.
4. A factor that determines a range of variations; a boundary
5. A dramatic or literary form of discourse in which a character talks to himself or herself or reveals his or her thoughts without addressing a listener.
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level